An old favourite! I found this recipe from Huletts Sugar and I am going to make this tonight- so excited! What a treat.
Makes about 36 squares
900g (4½ cups) Huletts White Sugar
300ml (1¼ cups) milk
300g (3¾ cups) desiccated coconut
Few drops of pink food colouring
- Place the sugar and milk into a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a rapid boil, cover with the lid and boil for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and boil for a further 3 – 5 minutes or until the mixture has reached the soft ball stage. (when a little syrup is dropped into iced water it forms a ball which flattens of its own accord when picked up with the fingers. About 25 – 30 minutes)
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut. Stir until combined.
- Quickly pour half the mixture into a 22cm square greased and lined pan. Stand the saucepan in a bowl of hot water to prevent setting. Colour with a few drops of pink food colouring. Pour the pink mixture over the white mixture working quickly.
- Leave till half set. Cut into squares using an oiled knife. Leave to set completely. Store in an airtight container.